Reaction score
Suggestion Title:
Court room (DOJ) (NEW JOB) JURY​

Suggestion Category:
Roleplay Server​

Suggestion Sub-Category:
Trial​

Suggestion:
So ive never understood why we do not make full use of the court room at DOJ. Ive always felt DOJ not really having much to do. I could be wrong as im not in DOJ. But people should have the option to take there case to trial if there is a Jury online.

Adding a jury system would add alot of funny memories and really boost server roleplay. Within DOJ it has a really nice interior thats kinda wasted. Adding this feature would give players a chance to provide evidence from a non biast POV. Somtimes maybe PD big dick there way into charges (dont happen often). But when you feel you've been done wrong you should be able to take it to trial. Also this would add another job to DOC where they can stand presant at DOJ while somone is on trial.

Also if people want to take somone to trail. Such as PD for biast actions they may have taken they could send a file of evidence to the jury and at this point he can accept or decline.

I feel this would create really cool roleplay. Again i understand a jury isnt always going to be presant. So this could be an option if hes online. This would create so many new jobs as the jury could have people under him ect. Please give feed back on this.​

Dante Cruz

Meh Guy
Reaction score
You wouldnt even need to devolp this feature eather...it could be community run its a simple feature run by the community.

Fuerte

Events Team
Media Designer
Supporter
Reaction score
This has been implemented and you should start to seeing civil and criminal court cases soon! No jury, but it's got plaintiffs, prosecution, defendants, defense attorneys, and judges all working a case as you would IRL.

How would you start the process of suing someone? Find out ICly :)

Ricky

This Guy
Supporter
Reaction score
A jury is one of the most instrumental parts of the real life legal system in the US as when you commit a crime against society you have the right to be judged by a jury of your peers, not just a single person, a judge, who could be incredibly biased in either direction. It stems from our 6th amendment rights to a speedy trial by an impartial jury.

In my opinion a criminal trial without a jury has the potential to be a sham.

I support this suggestion, however it would take proper planning to ensure its implemented properly. Just to be clear a Jury is not paid for being a juror, they're reimbursed for expenses. It would not be a job it would be something people are randomly selected and screened for as it is a citizens duty.

DeepBlue2002

New Guy
Reaction score
I can personally say that there will be something coming that all of you should pay closely attention to as a crim or legal as the new court system will set the standard in MCRP and set the stage of how the Justice System will be carried out.

stormcrow

This Guy
Supporter
Reaction score
We had considered jurors at one point in the very initial stages of the court system. The simple issue is, finding individuals that are suitable to serve as juror's is.. well.

1) With such a high population of criminals, that pretty much disqualifies 80% of the population.
2) Of the remaining pool, many are police officers, which, are likely to be a little biased.
3) With the remaining individuals that may be eligible, scheduling becomes a significant issue.

Dante Cruz

Meh Guy
Reaction score
I just think past vei
We had considered jurors at one point in the very initial stages of the court system. The simple issue is, finding individuals that are suitable to serve as juror's is.. well.

1) With such a high population of criminals, that pretty much disqualifies 80% of the population.
2) Of the remaining pool, many are police officers, which, are likely to be a little biased.
3) With the remaining individuals that may be eligible, scheduling becomes a significant issue.
See this shouldnt matter. If there is a judge on duty they should be auto sent to the caught room. And if there is a trial on going they wait in the court room. New jobs could be created. Due to a high rate of crime the judge would be a busy man. I think it just increases roleplay. Even surving time during the trial. There is plently of roleplay inorder to keep an inmate from being able to leave a room. Court room secruity. Also give DOC somthing to do

Lets say im surving a 7 hour sentence. Hold me in bowling brook for said time untill im able to be placed on trial. I just think for the lack of features currently in prisons this would add a ton of RP "your honour" dont worry about sheduals. Just go with it. If somone is on duty push trials ect. Also people could be presant at these hearings. Would create some really fun memories and expeiances for all involved.

An add could be sent out for people to actually come and watch

Dante Cruz

Meh Guy
Reaction score
You dont even need jurors present all the time. Even if its just the judge that would be more fun than it is now.

Fuerte

Events Team
Media Designer
Supporter
Reaction score
I just think past vei

See this shouldnt matter. If there is a judge on duty they should be auto sent to the caught room. And if there is a trial on going they wait in the court room. New jobs could be created. Due to a high rate of crime the judge would be a busy man. I think it just increases roleplay. Even surving time during the trial. There is plently of roleplay inorder to keep an inmate from being able to leave a room. Court room secruity. Also give DOC somthing to do

Lets say im surving a 7 hour sentence. Hold me in bowling brook for said time untill im able to be placed on trial. I just think for the lack of features currently in prisons this would add a ton of RP "your honour" dont worry about sheduals. Just go with it. If somone is on duty push trials ect. Also people could be presant at these hearings. Would create some really fun memories and expeiances for all involved.

An add could be sent out for people to actually come and watch
99% percent of this is already an approved thing being rolled out now! Getting the courthouse MLO is still in the works, but you should start seeing the new legal system in action soon.

Falconinthedive

Social Media Team
Reaction score
Website
raqueldommage.insanejournal.com
A jury is one of the most instrumental parts of the real life legal system in the US as when you commit a crime against society you have the right to be judged by a jury of your peers, not just a single person, a judge, who could be incredibly biased in either direction. It stems from our 6th amendment rights to a speedy trial by an impartial jury.

In my opinion a criminal trial without a jury has the potential to be a sham.

I support this suggestion, however it would take proper planning to ensure its implemented properly. Just to be clear a Jury is not paid for being a juror, they're reimbursed for expenses. It would not be a job it would be something people are randomly selected and screened for as it is a citizens duty.

I mean the biggest logistic problem would be getting people on at the same time. The more advance notice you have, the more likely it will be people have OOC obligations and have to leave the city before the jury takes place, but like, also the less time you have, the less likely it is people will be able to wrap up what they're doing to come by. I guess you could do ads, "jury trial taking place in 20 minutes @ DOJ, juror applicants, please come by DOJ for pre-screening."

Making it paid would almost be essential to making it work. Like give it a one time 5 or 10k payment. Because while IRL people aren't paid for jury duty beyond like reimbursed for parking and lunch, their employers do have to give them PTO for their normal shifts. Everyone in the city is gig or hourly, but if it comes down to you could spend an hour trucking or tugging or an hour on your like gov job (or hell even an hour doing crim work), versus getting only your stimmy to come sit on some jury trial, people are not going to take part beyond maybe a handful of trials or ones where they know the defendent and are trying to do some sus jury nullification thing.

Although the chance for jury deliberations does sound like it could lead to fun RP.

stormcrow

This Guy
Supporter
Reaction score
I mean the biggest logistic problem would be getting people on at the same time. The more advance notice you have, the more likely it will be people have OOC obligations and have to leave the city before the jury takes place, but like, also the less time you have, the less likely it is people will be able to wrap up what they're doing to come by. I guess you could do ads, "jury trial taking place in 20 minutes @ DOJ, juror applicants, please come by DOJ for pre-screening."

Making it paid would almost be essential to making it work. Like give it a one time 5 or 10k payment. Because while IRL people aren't paid for jury duty beyond like reimbursed for parking and lunch, their employers do have to give them PTO for their normal shifts. Everyone in the city is gig or hourly, but if it comes down to you could spend an hour trucking or tugging or an hour on your like gov job (or hell even an hour doing crim work), versus getting only your stimmy to come sit on some jury trial, people are not going to take part beyond maybe a handful of trials or ones where they know the defendent and are trying to do some sus jury nullification thing.

Although the chance for jury deliberations does sound like it could lead to fun RP.

The only idea I had to make this work, was to pre-select 20-30 people that were in the city at various time zones that would act as 'on call' Jurors. They would be paid as you mentioned, and there would be steps taken to protect their identities (masks and the l ike) to prevent people from attempting to corrupt them.

But, again, finding that many unbiased / legal individuals is.. daunting.

JoeyC

The Guy
Reaction score
You dont even need jurors present all the time. Even if its just the judge that would be more fun than it is now.
Because most of the time the people who are arrested are pulled straight from a shootout scene. Court RP shouldn't be used for anything over 5% of arrests in my opinions.