Newer Guy
Supporter
Reaction score
Rule Name:
Luxury Housing Cap​

Is this a rule addition, change, or removal:
New Rule​

Suggested Rule Text:
To Put a bar on housing pricing limits that players set, driving around town it is too common to see houses/appartments that are bottom end of the scale priced ridiculously high, which is not realistic or immersive at all, i am suggesting that there should be a limit percentage of how much the house can be sold for, for example a 20% bar on how much you can put it up for afterwards. if a 100k house goes back up on marked should be for 120k so 20k profit, 500k house could go up for 600k 1m house for 1.2m and so on.​

What are the benefits of this rule:
That alot more people will be able to buy property and start there lives in the city, at the moment its so difficult for anyone to find property that isnt up for 900 million when it cost the original buyer 200k, how is that realistic at all? this gives everyone a fair chance at property including new players.​

What are the negatives of this rule change, addition, or removal:
The only negative would be that the experienced players and ones with assests can't sell there houses for hundreds if not millions more than they brought it for, which isnt really that big of a negative is it?​

I confirmed that I have properly thought about this rule amendment. I also confirm that I've discussed this rule amendment with others. I also confirm I've checked the suggestion section before previously posting this rule suggestion and understand that I will receive a warning for posting a duplicate suggestion.
Yes​

Reactions: Goldithy

Palladian

Newer Guy
Supporter
Reaction score
This would exclude auction sales of course, as they could reach whatever people are willing to pay

LucaEzme

The Guy
Supporter
Reaction score
The house market is dictated by what buyers pays for a house/appartment just like used cars. There is no a person sitting, and deciding a used jugular should go for 350,000 dollars, and if anyone wants to buy it, thats the price. people puts stuff up for sale at a price (or someone puts a bid on a property) which dictates the price. i understand you, and agree you, but if your rule were to be implimented, no one would sell their houses. imagine having 10 appartments in jamestown that you bought for 85,000 dollars each.. with this rule you would be able to sell it for 102,500 dollars. a Very large group of people on the server is multi-multi millionaires, and have no intrest in selling a house that they could rent out for 10,000 dollars a week, or use for storage, if they weren't able to make any profit at all. i suggest we try to look for an alternative solution

Reactions: Palladian

Palladian

Newer Guy
Supporter
Reaction score
Totally get what you are saying there, logical and agree. but also there is the side who aren't multi-millionaires trying to make there way around who are just so priced out of buying anywhere due to the massive price inflation, but yeah agree some form of common ground would be nice, an alternative solution which is more friendly towards the less wealthy individuals on the server like myself :)

LucaEzme

The Guy
Supporter
Reaction score
Totally get what you are saying there, logical and agree. but also there is the side who aren't multi-millionaires trying to make there way around who are just so priced out of buying anywhere due to the massive price inflation, but yeah agree some form of common ground would be nice, an alternative solution which is more friendly towards the less wealthy individuals on the server like myself :)
ye i agree 100% that one of the first things people should be able to do, on a roleplay server, is to get an actual adress. and it should not cost 300,000 dollars for the cheapest appartment. Sadly the vast majority of appartments (in my experience) is owned by corps that was able to obtain them, as they went up for sale after being locked for a while. Maybe it would be possible, to have areas in the city, where you would pay a server made realestate for an appartment. an example could be that once new houses goes up for sale, a portion of them would go to a server-run firm, that would sell the house to a player for a price, and once the player is ready to move on from that house/appartment, they would resell it back to get the "deposit", say 40,000 dollars. so for as long as the player needs the house, it is theirs, and they can at any momennt sell it back to the server run group, to get the refund. at the same time, thee player renting the house, would be locked from owning any other houses, so avoid people abusing the system. Something like that could maybe work but there is probably also downsides to that too

Mishac

Meh Guy
Helper
Reaction score
Isnt this kinda like a doj/economy ic issue?

Emi

Tester
Tester
Reaction score
This is more of an IC issue. I would suggest speaking to DOJ icly about what they can do to remedy the perceived problem

Palladian

Newer Guy
Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry just seen this... okay @Emi i'll pop down to doj IC see if i can arrange a meeting or something :)

BigBoyViking

New Guy
Reaction score
I mean eitherway there should just be more property's for sale and every house/apartment with a door should be able to be sold etc etc. Also can put a cap on the ammount off propertys a person can own, Like littarly 1 person can own half the city and do nothing with the propertys sure now with the new auto system off selling propertys they gotta be in for 10 hours yet still doesnt change the fact they can own alot and do nothing with it. Like having 3-4 propertys is enough

Falconinthedive

Social Media Team
Supporter
Reaction score
Website
raqueldommage.insanejournal.com
To be fair the people whose houses are listed for 999,999,999 aren't actually trying to sell their houses. Apparently there used to be (still is) a bug where properties would randomly go up on the market, so setting the price unreasonably high was a defense against your house accidentally being listed and sold.

But the problem is, if the cap were set low so a one million dollar house could only go for 1.2m, there are still people who could just go and buy all the 1.2 m houses and then sell them for 1.44 M where they'd be bought up by someone who could sell them for 1.72 M etc until we got to around the same level. Or they'd be bought by people who just want to rent them out which further decreases available property.

I definitely agree property is a major problem in the city because the wealth disparity between established players and newer ones is orders of magnitude and there's no real space for a "middle class" so to speak. So there could be more done to enable people in buying their first home or limit the amount of homes people or corps can acquire, but I don't know if capping prices would really be the fix when making it cheap enough for new people to afford puts it into impulse purchase range for older folk.