1. Posting Suggestions and Responses

Hello Guest, please read and follow the below instructions:
    • When posting a suggestion, make sure it is not a previously posted suggestion.
    • Make your best effort to respond to suggestions in an understandable and reasonable manner.
    • Everyone disagrees, just be respectful.
    • Do not complain if your suggestion is denied by the Administration, or voted away by the community.
    • This section is used for community feedback, Mafia City Roleplay makes no garuntees that a feature will be added.
    • Mafia City Roleplay reserves the right to prohibit posting in this section at any time, for any reason.
    Please understand that all suggestions may not receive a response until release.
    Dismiss Notice

Removal of the Alias System

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Frank, Feb 9, 2020.

?

Do you support this suggestion?

This poll will close on Jun 8, 2020 at 8:31 PM.
  1. Yes

34.8%
  2. No

65.2%
  1. Frank

Frank Content Developer
    Developer Senior Moderator Supporter

Suggestion Title:
    Removal of the Alias System

Suggestion Category:
    Roleplay Server

Suggestion Sub-Category:
    General

Suggestion:
    Something similiar to this has previously been suggested already, however a lot of things got mixed (as in also removing stranger IDs etc.), I'd like to completely focus this on the Alias system here.

I think the Alias system has a lot of good intentions, however at the same time it also has a lot of bad intentions that overweigh the good ones by a lot. The Alias system leads to loads of metagaming and misuse of the system. People are being identified through walls, corners or tinted windows.

Although we are losing the fact of "remembering" players script-wise, I think if you want to remember somebody, you can remember their names even without an alias. In real life, you won't be able to remember the names of people you've met one time either.

Late addition: To people saying "hard to identify people because they can have multiple characters", identify them by their looks, just like in real life! If you have two people in real life have a really similiar voice, you can clearly distinguish them by their looks. If theyre twins, then mistakes are bound to happen anyways.

Skill and s0mday like this.
  2. Blondiie

Blondiie Member of Staff

I can barely remember my own name, let alone 50 other people :(

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    MaxStewart likes this.
  3. Frank

Frank Content Developer

That only proves this suggestion's point more.

4. Nameless

Nameless Content Developer
    Developer Moderator Supporter

Could make it require line of sight for the nameplate to show regardless, that removes the corner meta.

Fix the bug with masks on first join = no more mask bug meta.

Whereas irl you can ID someone by their voice, and perhaps face, Characters in GTA V aren't so unique, especially when most players don't care enough to make their nose bridge 3mm smaller than default, or add enough space to park a tank between their eyebrows.

There needs to be, in my opinion, a way to "remember" specific characters that may not look so unique as people irl would, especially when multiple characters with the same voice are possible due to the nature of this being a game - that's what this system is.

Chanty, Kay, Teca and 1 other person like this.
  5. Nightranger

Nightranger Alright Guy

I like the idea of removing the alias system all together, but as nameless says this is a game, people can use voicechangers etc...
    Also goes back to some of the concerns of the previous posts of "How would you identify them for player complaints"...

It also isn't any different than pressing F10 already.

Unless I'm confusing myself, Leaving ID's would be all that is needed, and if people want to alias they still can...

Although removing the alias system altogether, sure as hell would stop alot of inadvertent, and blatant metagaming, and would ultimately increase RP, the more I think about it, the more I like the idea...

It can benefit both PD and Criminals alike, Giving criminals an option to be able to change clothes / dis-guises etc, which makes for smarter gameplay, and also helps eliminate some "hate" towards certain players by identifying them before you have even spoke with them...

It could inadvertently help the economy, with clothe shops, making them more viable, rather than a luxury...

However for it to work, maybe update the metagaming rule to allow members to speak witht heir friends (if only briefly through discord) to verify it is them who you are meeting, or to set-up a meet point (not everyone has everyone in a phone list and/or on the radio all the time for IC reasons) It wouldn't affect anyones gameplay by setting up a meet point etc for friends...

6. Frank

Frank Content Developer

Not allowed.

Stranger IDs are still there.

Yes it is, because barely anybody toggles F10 other than for screenshots.

7. Shayan

Shayan New Guy
    Founding Supp. Supporter

In real life, people weigh differently, have different heights, sound differently, walk differently, and facially look different.

There's no weight difference in MCRP.
    There's no height difference in MCRP.
    A lot of people sound similar in MCRP, and that's because of their horrible microphones and background noises.
    Not only a small percentage of people know about different walking styles, but also a vast majority of them are silly and almost everyone uses the same 3 anyway.
    People with low-end computers play GTA with low graphics, which stops them from being able to properly identify people.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    JoeSlice and Nameless like this.
  8. Teca

Teca Meh Guy

ID system with UNIX time displayed near the map or under UI with some DB tweeks should work no problem

Winters, Frank and Nightranger like this.
  9. Kay

Kay This Guy
    Founding Supp. Supporter

GTA’s graphics and facial features aren’t as realistic as well, real life. A no from me.

10. RvGhost

RvGhost Savage
    Founding Supp. Supporter

I kinda want this but i'd have to stick to the same outfits more which I don't like

11. JoeSlice

JoeSlice Meh Guy

Problem is when a player has more than 1 account, your voice spans across your characters..
    This would cause issues.

Ben Biff, Azulya and Nameless like this.
  12. Shayan

Shayan New Guy
    Founding Supp. Supporter

I would like to also add an important point that keeps going under the radar.
    If everyone weighted the same, had the same height, looked as distinctly different as two stray cats do, sounded so similar that people from the same country, let alone the same region, are always getting confused with each other, and also walked the same way, evolution would cause us to always wear some form of name tag on us. Either tattoo it or making not wearing it a crime, I don't know. Either way, if identifying someone without a nametag IRL was as hard as identifying someone without the alias system in GTA, we'd have nametags IRL and therefore it would RPly and logically make sense to have and keep the name tags in-game. I hope that made sense, I wrote it being half asleep.

Ben Biff and Teca like this.
  13. StreetLgnd

StreetLgnd This Guy

I can be switching to first person everytime I walk up to someone to get a better look at their face to see who it is.

14. Chanty

Chanty New Guy
    Supporter

I have to agree with Nameless here. With the current way that people create characters on RP servers, especially the ones that don't make an effort just to join the server faster combined with the fact its hard to really distinguish them in game from others makes it nearly impossible to tell them apart. Plus we're limited on only so many slider options in game.

I'm also not opposed to removing the alias tags either for the very reason it gets meta'd SOO hard by everyone and because the masked id thing is so bugged.

I feel like a great solution to this would be adding a way to name the person but only be able to see their name once we do our b menu examination on the player, maybe have an option to add the name to them ourselves and maybe even give us an option to add our own notes on the person. Our thoughts about them or even a memory we had together. We would have to be near them for their name to appear to us or we would have to open our b menu and reexamine them for it to either pop over their head or pop up the menu screen where we write these notes or opinions of them in.

They would not see us doing this but it is fairly realistic. We stare at the person for a minute to see if we remember them and they would have to be right next to us to know them. Obviously the friends we know by voice, we recognize right away but this would give us a moment to try and remember them if we had met them previously, This would also eliminate seeing passing player tags as we drive by vehicles, or seeing them through fences or through third person. Seeing the wording above their heads has always been something I liked to begin with but began to hate over time because of what it causes.

#14 Chanty, Feb 12, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
  15. Azrael Kekoa (DASU)

Founding Supp. Supporter

I just went to an event and I met at least 3 people that looked exactly the same..... there is not enough variation in this games graphics, or this servers choices to make unique characters... the faces all look the same, and if someone changes their clothes you could not be able to identify your own mother.

Nameless and Chanty like this.
  16. Joshua

Joshua Lead Administration
    Lead Admin

I'm not a fan of removing this personally.

Teca and Nameless like this.
  17. MaxStewart

MaxStewart Newer Guy
    Supporter

Some of us tbh have issues with we shall say, memory problems, that cause us to not remember, voices, looks, right off the bat. That could cause this idea with messing with the alias system causing an issuing a major issue. There are people I personally cannot recognize with voice even after hearing them 10-12 times. I get the fence and wall issue but I think it needs to still be in play.

Teca likes this.
  18. Samo

Samo New Guy
    Founding Supp. Supporter

No, - I think the distance of viewing someones alias should be a meter or 2 not 20m, solves most negatives that i see, but that's kinda a different point

Azrael Kekoa (DASU) and Chanty like this.
  19. MaxStewart

MaxStewart Newer Guy
    Supporter

All I have to point out is the Dread's at the car show over the weekend. Put them both in the same uniform and you'd never know the fracking difference.

Teca likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice