1. Posting Suggestions and Responses

Hello Guest, please read and follow the below instructions:
    • When posting a suggestion, make sure it is not a previously posted suggestion.
    • Make your best effort to respond to suggestions in an understandable and reasonable manner.
    • Everyone disagrees, just be respectful.
    • Do not complain if your suggestion is denied by the Administration, or voted away by the community.
    • This section is used for community feedback, Mafia City Roleplay makes no garuntees that a feature will be added.
    • Mafia City Roleplay reserves the right to prohibit posting in this section at any time, for any reason.
    Please understand that all suggestions may not receive a response until release.
    Dismiss Notice

Stranger ID's to be turned off by default

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by aon, Dec 4, 2019.

?

Do you support this suggestion?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. aon

aon The Guy
    Hype Team Founding Supp. Supporter

Suggestion Title:
    Stranger ID's to be turned off by default

Suggestion Category:
    Roleplay Server

Suggestion Sub-Category:
    PLAYERS

Suggestion:
    Player tags should not show up by default if immersion is the goal. There should be a hotkey that you press to make them appear, in case you need the ID to report someone.
    The tags are an eyesore, and they shouldn't even be there in the first place, that way metagaming could be avoided. As it is right now, every criminal could just alias a player as a "COP" and automatically profile that player no matter what he's wearing or how he's disguised, or metagame the tags through walls in order to gain an advantage.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. aon

aon The Guy

It's not just cops, either. Players could (and will) alias enemy gang members to be able to profile them from miles away. Close quarter gun fights are crap, cause you basically have a wallhack. Now of course, players could abuse the hotkey to still do these things, but if the text could be made smaller and the "Stranger" part of the ID removed, to leave a sequence of numbers, that in my opinion would be the lesser evil here.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. MarcusLeo

MarcusLeo New Guy
    Hype Team

I totally agreed with you. It's also annoying if 20people are at the same place and it showing "stranger_w2636273" on every on of them. Please remove it.

4. aon

aon The Guy

[​IMG]

Here's an example.
    It looks cleaner than if they were strangers since I've aliased them, but otherwise that's just a mess of numbers and nametags floating over eachother, being an absolute eyesore

5. Frank

Frank Content Developer
    Developer Senior Moderator

I personally agree and have brought this up in the past.

aon, Thurnus, Ahmed and 1 other person like this.
  6. NoyStaLgiA

NoyStaLgiA Newer Guy

In the other hand, and if it won't get removed, it'd be better if it'll just show their ID only above their head and not the whole stranger line

7. Joshua

Joshua Lead Administration
    Lead Admin

I didn't think of it in terms of toggling via a hotkey. That's actually a pretty sick idea. Maybe have them fade away after a bit too maybe.

BlockDodger, Thurnus and aon like this.
  8. Michael Wilson

Michael Wilson Meh Guy
    Founding Supp. Supporter

Amazing idea! Is there any way to remove the names showing through walls?

Anyway to add disguises that scramble any known alias to that person? ie. You dont know who is behind a full face mask even though you set there /alias before.

9. aon

aon The Guy

Yeah so we were just talking about this in the PD discord. Undercover operations would be impossible with the current system - you can change your characters hair, clothes, voice, manners, basically everything as you would do while going undercover, but as soon as you walk up to a group of people someone's gonna have you aliased as "COP COP COP DETECTIVE COP"
    So... yeah... that would really suck.

Thurnus likes this.
  10. aon

aon The Guy

Personally, I'd prefer it if there weren't even aliases, forcing players to actually pay attention to someone's character and recognise them as they would recognize someone IRL is miles better

Thurnus likes this.
  11. Thurnus

Thurnus Meh Guy

I wholeheartedly agree. This is by far the best suggestion made by you yet, aon

12. Ahmed

Ahmed Developer
    Developer Senior Moderator Hype Team Founding Supp. Supporter

Accept this already

aon and Thurnus like this.
  13. aon

aon The Guy

Okay so we had a talk in discord about this and people raised the issue about the hotkey being abused, so what I'm proposing is:
    Let's say you press "U", and all the nametags appear as they would appear normally, for 5 seconds. That gives enough time to either take a screenshot, or easier, create a shadowplay clip with the ID. THEN, the player wouldn't be able to use this feature for X amount of seconds, let's say 10. So people couldn't just spam it.

Now, the two main concerns raised were:
    - Spotting a rulebreak from a far, and not being able to see the ID because you didn't press U to save it earlier when the person was close to you;
    - People would still use U to gain a momentary advantage over others;

My counterarguments to the first concern:
    I think these situations would be rare enough that at the end of the day, it wouldn't really matter. There are only a handful of scenarios where the person DMs someone that he was recently closeby to, and even then, with the current system, the person wouldn't necessarily have their shadowplay set to save a long enough clip to catch the persons ID anyway. My bottom line on this - having the current system just to avoid this concern does more harm than good.

Second concern:
    Yes, that would probably be a thing, but does it really matter? People who would abuse this most likely couln't roleplay properly if their life depended on it, and those same people would for sure abuse the current system. At least with my suggestion, there would be an extra step for them to do in order to break rules, potentially dettering people from doing it just because they'd be lazy. And again, the bottom line is, I personally wouldn't care if this got abused against me, because it's not about winning the roleplay scenario. Fuck them if they do it, but whatever. You do you.

In conclusion, what I'm proposing would still be miles better for the IMMERSION aspect of the server. If y'all really are all about immersion, this is a must. There isn't a single more immersion breaking feature in game than this in-your-face floating text above characters. You can already see the people who are actually here for the roleplay agree with me.

14. aon

aon The Guy

A fadeaway would also be good. We can see the tags from so far away, that whenever I'm at the PD locker room, I can see every single person in mission row through the walls.

Ben Biff likes this.
  15. aon

aon The Guy

[​IMG]

16. aon

aon The Guy

btw the people that are voting "No" on this post without actually presenting any arguments are WEAK ASS SELFPLAYERS
    and they aren't presenting any arguments because there ain't any good arguments against my suggestion except "I'm not gonna treat this as a roleplay server and I wanna easily be able to tell who's who so I can lowkey metagame and not put any effort in into remembering who people are"

Thurnus likes this.
  17. Matt

Matt Member of Staff
    Moderator Founding Supp. Supporter

Supported as long as there's a way to toggle them back on.

Thurnus likes this.
  18. MarcusLeo

MarcusLeo New Guy
    Hype Team

Also I think before alias someone, they ask the other person's permission so it's good otherwise people gonna allies everyone and gonna take revenge on eachother even after dying...

19. aon

aon The Guy

idk if asking for permission is the way to do it, but people aliasing each other as metagame-y nonsense is nonsense.

20. Michael Wilson

Michael Wilson Meh Guy
    Founding Supp. Supporter

What about a notification that someone set your alias to "cop" or "Michael" or something that way if someone sets your alias to something metagamy then you already know. But that doesnt solve the problem of being undercover. etc

• About Us

As a community we have been around for many years now, and we pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussions amongst people of different backgrounds. We work everyday to ensure this community reaches its highest possible potential. We hope you join us for the journey.
  • Support MCRP

The management works very hard to make sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Donate Now
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice